Chapter 9 : Restoration of Sudeley
The castle was sold in 1837 to the Dent brothers, wealthy and successful glove-makers. They began restoration, but the whole, long process was mainly overseen by the next owners, The Dent brothers' nephew, John, and his wife Emma Brocklehurst. Emma Dent devoted her life to the care and restoration of the estate, which was eventually inherited by her nephew, whose descendants are still in residence.
The castle has been open to the public since the 1960s and is a marvellous example of how a sensitive restoration and interpretation of an historic site can bring the past alive. It is not hard to imagine Queen Katherine Parr walking through the gardens, her prayer book in hand, stopping from time to time to smell the roses she loved.